I'm posting for now my recent column article on the exhibit Trauma, Interrupted. It was published yesterday in The Philippine Star, page G4. I found this exhibition particularly interesting because I've also tried to explore the links between trauma, art and healing a few years back. I did a couple of painting projects for the Philippine Children's Medical Center, cheering their Leukemia treatment room (with Splat! the painting club of Assumption College High School which I used to head) and another room with Christina Dy's painting class. More significant to me was the Art Workshop I organized for the Correctional Institute for Women and New Bilibid Prisons. My utmost thanks goes to all the people who helped in that - my parents, students from University of the Philippines who conducted the workshop for free, my friends Joanna and Renicca who facilitated at NBP and the relatives who donated money so I could buy the necessary art materials. I wish I had been able to sustain it but I was only 18 years old when I did this project. I really had to focus on my studies and
I haven't stopped being busy since! I hope that the inmates we gave the workshop to have kept on drawing...
Well, without further yakkity yak of mine, here's the article!
What can art do in the face of global suffering?
ARTICIPATION By Clarissa Chikiamco
Monday, July 16, 2007
In our third-world situation, it is not strange to encounter the charge that art is for the elite. Art is often seen as an excess and as a luxury and is the least of people’s priorities, if a priority at all. How can art be functional and what is its relevance in increasingly pressing times?
Curator Flaudette May Datuin poses this challenge in “Trauma, Interrupted,” an exhibition ongoing at the Cultural Center of the Philippines with works by artists foreign and Filipino. Raising and attempting to answer the query, “What can art do in the face of global suffering?” “Trauma, Interrupted” delves into the links between trauma, art and healing — how art can be the catalyst for people to reconcile with disturbing experiences, whether it be from grave conflict situations or personal emotional anguish.
In Terry Berkowitz’s “The Malaya Lola (Free Grandmother Project),” Terry gives face and voice to the events of Nov. 23, 1944 by photographing the still alive but aged women who survived a raid of Japanese soldiers in their village in Mapanique, Candaba, Pampanga. The close-up photographs of these women are mounted side by side in the third floor hallway stretch, making walking along it a striking and moving experience. The date of the event and the age and name of the pictured lola are posted underneath each photograph, underscoring the need to have the occasion recognized with a sense of urgency. A soundtrack that accompanies the piece also gives the lolas the chance to be heard. Asides from calling attention to the issue, the work is also imbued with a sense of hope. As Terry says, “Learning about the nightmare these women lived through and how they were able to continue on, get married (in most cases) and raise families is truly inspiring.”
Ann Wizer and Naomi Wizer-Green’s “Pain Drain” features a mother and daughter collaboration that recreates Naomi’s bathroom. In this personal space (what could be more private than one’s own bathroom?), Naomi draws and writes poems on its surfaces which become the channel through which she communicates with her mother. Scrawled on the wall are multiple passages. “Hello, I’m Naomi. I’m neurotic. Don’t believe me when I say I’m fine.” “Fate is an elegant, cold hearted whore.” “Jesus Christ; I’m not afraid to die(,) I’m afraid
Personal space is something as well which Lyra Garcellano’s work touches on. After taking polaroids of several different bedrooms, Garcellano paints fire on the polaroids, emanating from the beds.
In “Somewhere Tropical, In My Backyard Series,” Gina Osterloh, a Filipino-American artist based in the United States, confronts cultural identity in photographs that use a constructed
It can’t be denied that sometimes art can be a cold and alienating fish. Yet, as this exhibit, which has many more works than mentioned in this article, so palpably shows, art is also a very practical and personal thing. It can be a means by which the afflicted can come to terms with painful ordeals and by which people can become aware and begin to reach out to others. In creativity and productivity comes a sense of self-worth as well. While arguably art is always relevant whatever the times, the pieces in this show assert art’s functionality and significance certainly well.
* * *
“Trauma, Interrupted” is currently on view at the Cultural Center of the Philippines, Main Gallery and Third and Fourth Floor Hallways, at Roxas Boulevard, Manila until July 29. For information on the exhibit, visit http://www.trauma-interrupted.org. E-mail the author at letterstolisa@gmail.com or visit http://writelisawrite.blogspot.com.

No comments:
Post a Comment