writings, projects and exhibitions of Clarissa Chikiamco

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Larasati April 2007 Auction Catalogue (cover)

Okay, writing for the Larasati April 2007 auction catalogue wasn't easy. I had to write 34 captions on Philippine artworks (Not all captions to Philippine artworks are mine though, there were more than 34 Philippine artworks up for auction. I only wrote those submitted on behalf of Artesan Gallery.) and 34 biographies plus a major piece on modern and contemporary Philippine art for the Art Philippine section. Having to write that amount was staggering. I don't think I went anywhere without my laptop for weeks and, despite being freelance at that time, would still spend countless nights tapping away at the keyboard.

After a number of stressful weeks, I finally finished and must admit I'm quite happy I took on the job. I am still a mite upset that somehow a few typos appeared in a few write-ups (when the file I had sent to Larasati had no typos whatsoever) but I'd rather not wax about something that nothing can be done about anymore anyway. I do think that Larasati was very brave in giving such a major spotlight to Philippine art (which hasn't been done before by any other auction house). Really major kudos to them!

In the end, I was glad I managed to accomplish such a major task and look forward to doing similar projects in the future. My heartfelt thanks and appreciation goes to Roberta Dans, Director of Artesan Gallery, Singapore, who organized majority of the Philippine pieces for Larasati (and who hired me to write as well!), and her husband Andrew Thomas. They were marvelous hosts and sponsored my trip to Singapore for the actual auction. It was really an exciting and memorable experience!

I'll be posting more on this in the weekend to come plus the Metro Home articles on Possible Islands and Ralph Walker's collection. Comments are welcome at letterstolisa@gmail.com. I look forward to hearing from you!

No comments: